Subject: Re: stash refuses to pop

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 07:58:34 +0200

Am 4/10/2012 20:56, schrieb Phillip Susi:
> On 4/10/2012 2:05 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
>> Phillip Susi<[email-masked]>  writes:
>>
>>> git stash refuses to apply a stash if it touches files that are
>>> modified.  Using stash -p to selectively stash some hunks of a file
>>> and then immediately trying to pop that stash causes this failure
>>> every time.
>>
>> I think that is by design.
> 
> Being able to push something that you can not pop seems to be broken
> design...

You are trying to abuse git-stash, but it does not cooperate because it
was not designed to be abused ;-) git-stash is not intended as a generic
push-and-pop-my-changes work horse.

The purpose of git-stash is that you can "move away"

- all of your changes to have a clean worktree or
- part of your changes to _create a clean worktree from the remaining
changes_.

That is, before you can think of applying a stash, you are expected to
have cleaned out your worktree.

-- Hannes