Subject: Re: GSoC - Some questions on the idea of

From: Neal Kreitzinger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 11:29:50 -0500

On 4/11/2012 1:04 AM, Jonathan Nieder wrote:
> Neal Kreitzinger wrote:
>
>> Maybe small binaries do xdelta well and the above is a moot point.
>
> If I am reading it correctly, diff-delta copes fine with smallish
> binary files that have not changed much.  Converting to hex would
> only hurt.
>
How do I check the history size of a binary?  IOW, how to I check the
size of the sum of all the delta-compressions and root blob of a binary?
  That way I can sample different binary types to get a symptomatic idea
of how well they are delta compressing.  I suspect that compiled
binaries will compress well (efficient history) and graphics files may
not compress well (large history).

v/r,
neal