Subject: Re: git-archive and submodules

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 10:11:24 +0200

Am 19.04.2012 22:10, schrieb André Caron:
> Hi,
> 
> I've recently needed to create a source code archive as part of a
> custom build target.  This repository uses submodules and I need to
> include the submodlule's source code in the archives too.  However,
> git-archive does not have any option to do so.
> 
> I've taken a quick look at the GMANE mailing list archives and it
> seems this provoked quite a discussion in 2009 and that Lars Hjemli
> even wrote a patch (in several flavors) for archive.c to include
> submodule-aware processing.  The lastest source code at
> `git.kernel.org` does not contain any traces of this patch (or
> submodule aware logic for that matter).  The mailing list archives are
> not very convenient to browse and I can't figure out what the status
> on this submodule-aware git-archive idea is.  Has this idea been
> completely rejected, or is it still work in progress?

The idea is not rejected, this would be a worthwhile addition. It has
been brought up again last May, but as far as I know it is stalled
since then:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/172851