Subject: Re: Newbie grief

From: Rich Pixley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 10:29:59 -0700

On 4/30/12 23:21 , Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Michael Witten<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> Here's a start for a more precise discussion.
> When does the "Cache server" updated from the "$uri_for_central_repo" in
> this picture?  If it is after push by either from Machine A or B, somebody
> needs to reconcile that and whatever A/B pushed.
>
> And between Hg style "split head" or Git style refs/remotes/* namespaces
> there is no difference to perform that reconcilation.  Somebody needs to
> run "merge" on the "Cache server" and at some point the result needs to be
> pushed to the $uri_for_central_repo back.
Untrue.  In the hg style, the reconciliation can happen at any 
repository.  Or never.  It's completely legitimate to allow this "split 
head" to become the beginning of a de facto branch.  The only difference 
between a "split head" and a branch is whether the same branch pointer 
points to both or whether they have different branch pointers.  They can 
even have both.

--rich