Subject: Re: RFC: reflog for deleted branches

From: Sven Strickroth <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 00:10:56 +0200

Am 03.05.2012 23:37 schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> The itch is legit, but I doubt a "special log for deleted branches" is a
> good design.  Why do you limit yourself only to a single "last" commit?

That was just the first idea ;)

> Wouldn't it be a better design to save away the entire reflog for the
> branch when a branch is deleted, possibly with expedited expire rule for
> such a reflog?

The "normal" reflog cannot be used if you just create and then delete a
branch - the reflog is empty in this case. A special "deleted" entry
pointing to the SHA1 of the branch is needed. Also the question is how
to handle the case that a user creates and deletes a new branch with the
same name.

All in all, I (and lots of other users) would be happy if this issue
could be addressed in one of the next releases. :)

-- 
Best regards,
 Sven Strickroth
 ClamAV, a GPL anti-virus toolkit   http://www.clamav.net
 PGP key id F5A9D4C4 @ any key-server