Subject: Re: RFC: reflog for deleted branches

From: Andrew Sayers <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 23:13:16 +0100

On 03/05/12 22:25, Sven Strickroth wrote:
> Hi,
> 
> an often heart question is how to restore deleted branches. Sometimes
> those can be restored by using the reflog of the HEAD.
> 
> But why not create a special (ref)log for deleted branches (with SHA1,
> date, name of the branch and maybe commit message of the last commit on
> the deleted branch)? This way people could just look up the SHA1 of the
> deleted branch and can recreate it (even if they moved the HEAD around a
> lot).
> 

Something like this may well be needed by an SVN importer, as it's quite
possible for an SVN branch to be deleted, then another branch forked
from it years later.  See the (brief) discussion here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/195517
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.git/195544

This is really Florian's area, but I expect it would be easy enough for
SVN import to build on top of any reasonably general solution if you're
offering :)

	- Andrew