Subject: Re: Newbie grief

From: Rich Pixley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 15:33:41 -0700

On 5/3/12 14:13 , Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Ronan Keryell<[email-masked]>  writes:
>>>>>>> On Thu, 03 May 2012 12:13:46 -0700, Rich Pixley<[email-masked]>  said:
>>      Rich>  * the hg error messages are straightforward, clear, and don't
>>      Rich>  require any deep knowledge of the source code control system
>>      Rich>  or it's limitations.  (I still don't understand what the git
>>      Rich>  message on collision is saying.)
>>
>> This is a very good suggestion.
>> ...
>> At least, print a simpler message with some typical use case causing
>> this and some workflow ideas before the detailed explanation.
> It indeed is a good starting point to make a suggestion, but there is
> nothing actionable in the above by itself, especially since "typical use
> case" is quite different for different Git users.
How about, "Your push can't be made because it would cause an 
irreconcilable collision.  You probably want to pull and merge before 
attempting to push again."

--rich