Subject: Re: Newbie grief

From: Rich Pixley <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 15:44:56 -0700

On 5/3/12 14:09 , Junio C Hamano wrote:
> Michael Witten<[email-masked]>  writes:
>
>> (Note, though, that Junio has done a laudable job of keeping the
>> whole experiment going strong).
>
> You are giving me too much credit, and at the same time insulting the
> people who polished Git enough to suit their workflow.  To them, the tool
> has past "experiment" stage long time ago.  They found what was lacking
> and what would help the need in their workflow.  I just have helped them
> shape their ideas into a coherent whole.
>
> That does not mean there is nothing missing, still appears experimental,
> or inconsistent in the parts of the system that these people do not use
> nor care about, and when you bring in people coming from different
> background, they will notice the behaviour or default that do not match
> their expectation.  They can do the usual "scratching own itches" thing
> the same way to others who have done before. As nobody forces them to do
> so, they can instead keep whining.  It's mostly their choice.

Once you've been bitten, and learned to shy away from the sore spot, you 
don't really have much motivation to change it.  The motivation to 
change it would be to make it easier for the next person.

Git clearly doesn't have much of that value in the community culture.

--rich