Subject: Re: Newbie grief

From: Rich Pixley <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 May 2012 11:10:19 -0700

On 5/4/12 03:09 , Carlos Martín Nieto wrote:
>      To $uri_for_central_repo
>      ! [rejected]        HEAD ->  feature_0 (non-fast-forward)
>
>      error: failed to push some refs to '$uri_for_central_repo'
>
>      Some updates which might rewrite history and lose someone else's
>      changes were rejected. Merge those changes (e.g. 'git pull') to
>      incorporate that history. See the 'Note about fast-forwards' section
>      of 'git push --help' for details.

I'd like to suggest "declined" instead of "failed".  "error: failed" 
suggests an error in the data or in the tool rather than a default or a 
choice on the part of a UI designer.

The first few times I got this error I presumed that it was telling me 
my destination repository was corrupt.  So I salvaged my changes with 
diff and patch, trashed the repository, and cloned a fresh one, (which 
didn't show this error when I pushed to it.)

--rich