Subject: Re: git-scm.com refresh

From: A Large Angry SCM <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2012 11:08:50 -0400

On 05/04/2012 07:29 PM, Scott Chacon wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just shipped a big update to the git-scm.com website, incorporating
> tons of feedback I've gotten on the site, especially from new users,
> over the years.  I think it will help new users to Git find the right
> installer and get up and running easier.  I have other ideas of things
> to add to it in the future, but I think this is much better than the
> site that has served us well for a few years now.

[...]

I was looking over the updated website and what follows are my initial 
impressions:

1) I like the old logo much better.

2) I notice that GitHub is NOT listed as a company or project using git 
on the main page. What SCM does GitHub use? :-O

3) On the About -> Small and Fast Page: you show a comparison to Git and 
Git* for the clone operation but there is no explanation of how Git and 
Git* differ.

4) It's 2 clicks to get to a category view of the man pages: I think 
that's 1 too many.

5) I would like to see a page that lists all of the documentation in the 
core distribution in one place. A good place for this would be somewhere 
near the top of the category view page.

6) The documentation pages should let the user decide with one click 
which version of the documentation set they wish to view instead of 
having to do it for every page.

7) A help topic on the category view page about determining which 
version of the documentation matches the user's installed version of Git 
would be useful.