Subject: Re: [PATCH 02/19] tests: add tests for the bash prompt functions in the completion script

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 08:09:08 +0200

Am 5/9/2012 20:08, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Would it be possible to arrange so that $TRASH_DIRECTORY, $TEST_DIRECTORY
> and $PWD are set to c:/dir style paths in Windows environment?  What would
> we break if we did so?

I don't think that this is possible. The POSIX emulation in MSYS (or bash,
dunno) always converts to POSIX style:

> bash -c "cd c:/temp; PWD=$(pwd -W); echo $PWD; cd $PWD; pwd; echo $PWD"
c:/temp
/c/temp
/c/temp

That is, even if I use Windows style path to chdir around, the result is
POSIX style.

> The other direction of changing the Windows port of git to produce /c/dir
> style paths would probably not work, as it would involve ripping out the
> path mangling feature of bash in MSYS, which is done for some reason, I
> presume.

Doing that is certainly not something that I would be prepared to do just
to make the bash prompt work right ;-) And the added maintainance burden
incurred by the status quo is certainly much cheaper than yet another fork
of MSYS and/or bash.

-- Hannes