Subject: Re: Index format v5

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 20:17:23 +0200

On 05/10/2012 02:19 PM, Thomas Gummerer wrote:
> == Flat loading
>
> Since internally git expects and works with lexicografic ordering,
> a simple linear scan throught the subdirectories doesn't give
> the right internal sorting. To achieve the right internal sorting
> the loading will be done in the following way:
>
> The data structure is a stack of queues, to allow continous reading
> of the file.
>
> s ->  queue1
> t ->  queue2
> a ->  queue3
> c ->  queue4
> k ->  queue5
>
> dirs = read_all_directories
>
> foreach dir in dirs do
>      file = read_next_file
>
>      while element_on_top_of_stack.first_element<  nextdir
>          indexentries.append(dequeue(element_on_top_of_stack))
>          if element_on_top_of_stack == emtpy:
>              remove_element_on_top_of_stack
>
>      if file[filename]<  nextdir
>          indexentries.append(file)
>      else
>          queue.add(file)
>          foreach f in rest_of_files_in_directory:
>              queue.add(f)
>          stack.push(queue)
>
> foreach queue in stack:
>      foreach entry in queue:
>          indexentry.append(entry)

1. It seems to me that the first time that a file with a filename before 
nextdir is encountered, the reading of the directory containing the file 
will be terminated.  This would, for example, be the case for any 
directory that contains multiple files but no subdirectories.

2. There is still a lot that is unnecessarily obscure.  For example, I 
suppose (but you don't say) that "rest_of_files_in_directory" means to 
read the files at that moment.  It would be more explicit (and no more 
verbose) to write

     while (f = read_next_file()) != NULL:
         queue.add(f)

3. You don't cover corner cases, like when read_next_file() is called 
but there are no files left in the directory, or when there is no 
nextdir (which itself is not defined).  OK, this pseudocode is only 
meant to be illustrative, so I guess we can wait until your real 
implementation to see such details.  On the other hand, you probably 
want to get all the details straight in pseudocode or Python before you 
start translating it into C.

4. I think the algorithm would be easier to understand and implement if 
it were written recursively.  The call stack would replace your explicit 
stack (but you would still need one queue per directory level).  A key 
observation is that when "nextdir" precedes the next file, then all of 
the files in subdirectories of nextdir do as well.  Thus an obvious 
recursion would be to call a function like 
read_all_files_under_dir(indexentries, dirs, dirindex) at this point, 
which would consume all of the directories that are subdirectories of 
dirs[dirindex] (i.e., all directories whose names have the string 
dirs[dirindex] as a prefix).  Using this method would mean that there is 
no need to compare each file under dirs[dirindex] against the next file 
in the outer directory.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/