Subject: Re: ls-tree and wildcards

From: Ryan McCue <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 01:46:50 +1000

Nguyen Thai Ngoc Duy wrote:
> I don't think it ever does. There's a mention of "patterns" in ls-tree
> man page, which is misleading.

Aha, I thought this might be the case. Thanks, I'll grep ls-tree then.

> A question that might help us understand your use case and give a
> better advice, or improve the system: why do you need that?

I need to be able to get all files starting with a certain string 
("screenshot-" in this case) with certain extensions ("png", "jpg", 
"jpeg" or "gif" in this case). Passing into grep will do the trick, but 
a single command is my preferred option if it exists.

I don't mind this not existing in git (given that piping into grep will 
work just as well), but reading "patterns" on the man page made me think 
it may exist. I think the wording of that should probably be changed to 
avoid confusion.

Thanks for the response.
-- 
Ryan McCue
<http://ryanmccue.info/>