Subject: Re: Git commit path vs rebase path

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 08:02:26 +0200

Am 5/14/2012 0:58, schrieb Ramsay Jones:
> BTW, Johannes, earlier you said commit be39048 ("git-sh-setup.sh: Add an pwd()
> function for MinGW", 17-04-2012) would fix the problem on MinGW; I'm not so
> sure it will. 

> [...] problem (*which MinGW shares*) is that the
> pwd() function is defined *after* the code that sets $GIT_DIR from which the
> rebase state directory name is derived (see git-sh-setup.sh lines 223-239).

Good catch!

Nevertheless, if I set GIT_EDITOR to "notepad", 'git rebase -i' works to
some degree. Leaving aside that it does not understand LF line endings, it
opens the git-rebase-todo file; I can edit and save it. That is, it looks
like a usable Windows style path was passed to Notepad. (This is with
MinGW git, of course.)

But I can't use "Save As": Notepad just responds with "Error #3002". I
would attribute this to the forward slashes in the absolute path name, and
that the file dialog can't cope with them. Personally, I don't think this
is a big deal: We have heard of people who set GIT_EDITOR to something
Windows-y, but there were no complaints of the kind I mention in this
paragraph. (Why should there be any? There is no reason to use "Save As"
when git invokes an editor.)

-- Hannes