Subject: Re: t4014 broken by 43ae9f47ab: format-patch: use default email for generating message ids

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 22:49:55 +0200

On 05/24/2012 07:16 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 02:01:57PM +0200, Michael Haggerty wrote:
>
>> On my setup, the above commit causes 12 tests in t4014 to fail.  For
>> example, test 25:
>>
>>> -Message-Id:<0>
>>> +Message-Id:<1135adfeed86678c55e1aad7c568046ee8215660.1337860646.git.mhagger@michael.(none)>
>
> Thanks for the report. I know exactly what the issue is, as it came up
> in the discussion of the original series. 43ae9f47ab stopped using
> git_committer_info (which looks at $GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL) for the end of
> the message-id and started using the default-generated email directly.
>
> Nobody should care, because either:
>
>    1. The defaults set up a reasonable hostname for your machine.
>
>    2. They do not, but you adjust it by setting user.email. Otherwise,
>       your author ident would have this bogus email in it.

I'm trying hard not to get sucked into this topic (I just want the test 
suite to work again!) but I infer that the reason for the failure in my 
setup is that I have a global user.name but no global user.email 
configured.  I want git to remind me to configure user.email at the 
repository level so that I can set my work email address for proprietary 
projects and my personal email for open-source projects.

Ignorant idea: since this test is executed in a test repo, would it help 
to set a dummy user.name and user.email at the test repository level 
using "git config", perhaps as part of the standard test repo setup?

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/