Subject: Re: [PATCH v7 5/5] Implement line-history search (git log -L)

From: Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 11:38:14 +0200

On 06/07/2012 12:23 PM, Thomas Rast wrote:
> The algorithm is then simply to process history in topological order
> from newest to oldest, computing ranges and (partial) diffs.  At
> branch points, we need to merge the ranges we are watching.  We will
> find that many commits do not affect the chosen ranges, and mark them
> TREESAME (in addition to those already filtered by pathspec limiting).
> Another pass of history simplification then gets rid of such commits.

Hi,

this is absolutely great.

When I run your example invocations, nothing is displayed for a very
long time. I understand that this is because of the extra
'simplification pass', which means that whole results need to be ready
before anything is displayed. Adding something like '-10' doesn't seem
to have any effect, so I guess it is ignored. I hope that making '-<n>'
work would not be to complicated, but more important would be getting
incremental results. Will it be possible?

Zbyszek