Subject: Egit/Jgit support for relocated .git directories

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:18:31 +1200

Hi,

This is a bit of a secondhand bug report/query so sorry if the details
are a bit sketchy.

Since git 1.7.8:

``When populating a new submodule directory with "git submodule init",
the $GIT_DIR metainformation directory for submodules is created inside
$GIT_DIR/modules/<name>/ directory of the superproject and referenced
via the gitfile mechanism. This is to make it possible to switch
between commits in the superproject that has and does not have the
submodule in the tree without re-cloning.''

I've had several colleagues at work tell me that with the relocated
$GIT_DIR the Egit integration with eclipse doesn't work. I can't really
qualify "doesn't work" but from what I've been told importing the
project works but blaming/annotating doesn't.

I believe the gitfile mechanism isn't new but it possibly hasn't been
used by many Egit/Jgit users. Can anyone confirm if it is supported by
Egit/Jgit (and I'm barking up the wrong tree).

Thanks,
Chris