Subject: Re: Egit/Jgit support for relocated .git directories

From: Chris Packham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:16:14 +1200

On 06/27/2012 03:40 AM, Shawn Pearce wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:18 AM, Chris Packham <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> This is a bit of a secondhand bug report/query so sorry if the details
>> are a bit sketchy.
>>
>> Since git 1.7.8:
>>
>> ``When populating a new submodule directory with "git submodule init",
>> the $GIT_DIR metainformation directory for submodules is created inside
>> $GIT_DIR/modules/<name>/ directory of the superproject and referenced
>> via the gitfile mechanism. This is to make it possible to switch
>> between commits in the superproject that has and does not have the
>> submodule in the tree without re-cloning.''
>>
>> I've had several colleagues at work tell me that with the relocated
>> $GIT_DIR the Egit integration with eclipse doesn't work. I can't really
>> qualify "doesn't work" but from what I've been told importing the
>> project works but blaming/annotating doesn't.
>>
>> I believe the gitfile mechanism isn't new but it possibly hasn't been
>> used by many Egit/Jgit users. Can anyone confirm if it is supported by
>> Egit/Jgit (and I'm barking up the wrong tree).
> 
> I am pretty certain we forgot to support gitfile in JGit. Hence this
> doesn't work in EGit.
> 
> Whoops.

This[1] little snippet makes me think it wasn't entirely forgotten but
perhaps not finished or widely tested.

Alternatively as a workaround is there anyway of telling git to use old
the behaviour for git submodule init?

--
[1] -
http://git.eclipse.org/c/jgit/jgit.git/tree/org.eclipse.jgit/src/org/eclipse/jgit/lib/BaseRepositoryBuilder.java#n93