Subject: question concerning branches

From: [email-masked] (Ingo Brueckl)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 21:21:00 +0200

Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]> writes:

> This is one of the most useful features.

Wow. I'm sursprised to hear that, because I consider it at the moment as a
very strange one.

> For example, it is an essential
> part of supporting the workflow described here:
>     http://gitster.livejournal.com/25892.html

Here is what I'd expect to do with git (described with my own words, not in
git commands):

1. commit the quick fix to the release branch
2. push this single commit to origin and master

Now that all branches have the commit a later push and pull should notice
this and "skip" it.

This leads to a second question I have. Assuming I have three patches in my
repo (#1, #2 and #3), is it possible to push only #2 (because it is a
quick fix) and later, maybe after I committed #4, the rest, i.e. #1, #2 and
#4?

Ingo