Subject: Re: [PATCH v3 12/20] t: refactor tests depending on Perl to print data

From: Johannes Schindelin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2025 20:35:25 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Patrick,

On Thu, 27 Mar 2025, Patrick Steinhardt wrote:

> A bunch of tests rely on Perl to print data in various different ways.
> These usages fall into the following categories:
>
>   - Print data conditionally by matching patterns. These usecases can be
>     converted to use awk(1) rather easily.
>
>   - Print data repeatedly. These usecases can typically be converted to
>     use a combination of `test-tool genzeros` and sed(1).

It might be even more elegant to teach `genzeros` to generate streams of
bytes other than NUL.

>   - Print data in reverse. These usecases can be converted to use
>     awk(1).

Or, in one case, `sort -r`.

These changes all look good to me.

Ciao,
Johannes