Subject: Re: [PATCH v4 17/29] tests: t3440: create expect files at point of use

From: "Kristoffer Haugsbakk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2025 22:41:33 +0200

Now you start to change the test suite/file that you created for this
series.  There shouldn’t be a need to do a test file-only patch/commit
for a fresh series.

I saw in one of your patches that you removed `--keep-empty` from a test
because “that is the default”.  I also saw Phillip’s comment somewhere
that said the same thing.

The goal with maturing series is not to add patches on top in each round
(if that’s what you are doing).  It is to recreate them as if the series
was perfectly written to begin with; if one patch introduces
`--trailers` and a test file, then there should be no need with
follow-up patches that improve the test file style, refactors it, and
so on.

> [PATCH v4 17/29] tests: t3440: create expect files at point of use

`t3440` is enough.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2025, at 14:24, Li Chen wrote:
> Created the expected trailer files within
> the individual rebase tests that use them,
> simplifying the shared history setup and
> avoiding unused fixtures.

The max line length (for prose) is 72 and I don’t know of a minimum
(41 here).

>
> Signed-off-by: Li Chen <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  t/t3440-rebase-trailer.sh | 12 ++++--------
>  1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)
>[snip]