Subject: Re: On Tabs and Spaces

From: Jari Aalto <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 13:36:40 +0300

* Thu 2007-10-18 Mike Hommey <[email-masked]> gmane.comp.version-control.git
* Message-Id: [email-masked]
>> Any cross platform development or electronic exchange is guaranteed to
>> be interpreted correctly when policy enforces "only spaces"
>
> There is such problem with spaces. A lot of editors will just insert
> tabs to indent a new line when the previous you were typing begins with
> enough spaces, in which case you end up with spaces and tabs mixed all
> the way. It ends up being worse than all tabs.

There is "all-spaces", but there is no "all-tabs" choice.

The latter will always be mixture of "spaces and tabs". We have no
control how the tabs mix with spaces or vice versa: there could even be
"eight spaces" + proper tabs.

Speaking generalities (not the git project):

    People can't be controlled, or their settings. Therefore there is a
    policy and QA tools to monitor the issues and make things canonical;
    whatever that is for the project.

Jari

-- 
Welcome to FOSS revolution: we fix and modify until it shines