Subject: Re: [RFC] Add a new email notification script to "contrib"

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:48:12 +0200

On 07/16/2012 06:16 PM, Matthieu Moy wrote:
> [email-masked] writes:
>
>> From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Add a new Python script, contrib/hooks/post-receive-multimail.py, that
>> can be used to send notification emails describing pushes into a git
>> repository.  This script is derived from
>> contrib/hooks/post-receive-mail, but has many differences, including:
>>
>> * One email per commit [1].
>
> It's cool to have it, but it would be nice to allow the "one email per
> push" mode too. I have co-workers who already complain about the number
> of emails sent by the post-receive-mail script. I can't imagine their
> reaction if I set up a one-email-per-commit hook ;-).

It's already supported:

     git config hooks.announcelist \
         "[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]"
     git config hooks.refchangelist \
         "[email-masked], [email-masked]"
     git config hooks.commitlist "[email-masked]"

Granted, the ReferenceChange emails currently cannot be configured to 
include diffs, as can those of the old post-receive-email script, and 
the text alludes to upcoming one-email-per-commit emails.  But since it 
looks like the new script might be put forward as a replacement for the 
old one, I will obviously put more work into supporting as much of the 
old functionality as possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/