Subject: [PATCH 6/9] doc: git-log: convert pretty options to new doc format

From: "Jean-Noël Avila via GitGitGadget" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2025 09:09:43 +0000

From: =?UTF-8?q?Jean-No=C3=ABl=20Avila?= <[email-masked]>

- Use _<placeholder>_ instead of <placeholder> in the description
- Use `backticks` for keywords and more complex option
descriptions. The new rendering engine will apply synopsis rules to
these spans.

Signed-off-by: Jean-Noël Avila <[email-masked]>
---
 Documentation/pretty-options.adoc | 71 ++++++++++++++++---------------
 1 file changed, 36 insertions(+), 35 deletions(-)

diff --git a/Documentation/pretty-options.adoc b/Documentation/pretty-options.adoc
index 23888cd612c9..061e7b97f17a 100644
--- a/Documentation/pretty-options.adoc
+++ b/Documentation/pretty-options.adoc
@@ -1,38 +1,38 @@
---pretty[=<format>]::
---format=<format>::
+`--pretty[=<format>]`::
+`--format=<format>`::
 
 	Pretty-print the contents of the commit logs in a given format,
-	where '<format>' can be one of 'oneline', 'short', 'medium',
-	'full', 'fuller', 'reference', 'email', 'raw', 'format:<string>'
-	and 'tformat:<string>'.  When '<format>' is none of the above,
-	and has '%placeholder' in it, it acts as if
-	'--pretty=tformat:<format>' were given.
+	where '<format>' can be one of `oneline`, `short`, `medium`,
+	`full`, `fuller`, `reference`, `email`, `raw`, `format:<string>`
+	and `tformat:<string>`.  When _<format>_ is none of the above,
+	and has `%<placeholder>` in it, it acts as if
+	`--pretty=tformat:<format>` were given.
 +
 See the "PRETTY FORMATS" section for some additional details for each
-format.  When '=<format>' part is omitted, it defaults to 'medium'.
+format.  When `=<format>` part is omitted, it defaults to `medium.
 +
-Note: you can specify the default pretty format in the repository
+NOTE: you can specify the default pretty format in the repository
 configuration (see linkgit:git-config[1]).
 
---abbrev-commit::
+`--abbrev-commit`::
 	Instead of showing the full 40-byte hexadecimal commit object
 	name, show a prefix that names the object uniquely.
-	"--abbrev=<n>" (which also modifies diff output, if it is displayed)
+	`--abbrev=<n>` (which also modifies diff output, if it is displayed)
 	option can be used to specify the minimum length of the prefix.
 +
-This should make "--pretty=oneline" a whole lot more readable for
+This should make `--pretty=oneline` a whole lot more readable for
 people using 80-column terminals.
 
---no-abbrev-commit::
+`--no-abbrev-commit`::
 	Show the full 40-byte hexadecimal commit object name. This negates
 	`--abbrev-commit`, either explicit or implied by other options such
-	as "--oneline". It also overrides the `log.abbrevCommit` variable.
+	as `--oneline`. It also overrides the `log.abbrevCommit` variable.
 
---oneline::
-	This is a shorthand for "--pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit"
+`--oneline`::
+	This is a shorthand for `--pretty=oneline --abbrev-commit`
 	used together.
 
---encoding=<encoding>::
+`--encoding=<encoding>`::
 	Commit objects record the character encoding used for the log message
 	in their encoding header; this option can be used to tell the
 	command to re-code the commit log message in the encoding
@@ -44,22 +44,22 @@ people using 80-column terminals.
 	to convert the commit, we will quietly output the original
 	object verbatim.
 
---expand-tabs=<n>::
---expand-tabs::
---no-expand-tabs::
+`--expand-tabs=<n>`::
+`--expand-tabs`::
+`--no-expand-tabs`::
 	Perform a tab expansion (replace each tab with enough spaces
-	to fill to the next display column that is a multiple of '<n>')
+	to fill to the next display column that is a multiple of _<n>_)
 	in the log message before showing it in the output.
 	`--expand-tabs` is a short-hand for `--expand-tabs=8`, and
 	`--no-expand-tabs` is a short-hand for `--expand-tabs=0`,
 	which disables tab expansion.
 +
 By default, tabs are expanded in pretty formats that indent the log
-message by 4 spaces (i.e.  'medium', which is the default, 'full',
-and 'fuller').
+message by 4 spaces (i.e.  `medium`, which is the default, `full`,
+and `fuller`).
 
 ifndef::git-rev-list[]
---notes[=<ref>]::
+`--notes[=<ref>]`::
 	Show the notes (see linkgit:git-notes[1]) that annotate the
 	commit, when showing the commit log message.  This is the default
 	for `git log`, `git show` and `git whatchanged` commands when
@@ -75,28 +75,29 @@ to display.  The ref can specify the full refname when it begins
 with `refs/notes/`; when it begins with `notes/`, `refs/` and otherwise
 `refs/notes/` is prefixed to form the full name of the ref.
 +
-Multiple --notes options can be combined to control which notes are
-being displayed. Examples: "--notes=foo" will show only notes from
-"refs/notes/foo"; "--notes=foo --notes" will show both notes from
+Multiple `--notes` options can be combined to control which notes are
+being displayed. Examples: "`--notes=foo`" will show only notes from
+`refs/notes/foo`; "`--notes=foo --notes`" will show both notes from
 "refs/notes/foo" and from the default notes ref(s).
 
---no-notes::
+`--no-notes`::
 	Do not show notes. This negates the above `--notes` option, by
 	resetting the list of notes refs from which notes are shown.
 	Options are parsed in the order given on the command line, so e.g.
-	"--notes --notes=foo --no-notes --notes=bar" will only show notes
-	from "refs/notes/bar".
+	"`--notes --notes=foo --no-notes --notes=bar`" will only show notes
+	from `refs/notes/bar`.
 
---show-notes-by-default::
+`--show-notes-by-default`::
 	Show the default notes unless options for displaying specific
 	notes are given.
 
---show-notes[=<ref>]::
---[no-]standard-notes::
-	These options are deprecated. Use the above --notes/--no-notes
+`--show-notes[=<ref>]`::
+`--standard-notes`::
+`--no-standard-notes`::
+	These options are deprecated. Use the above `--notes`/`--no-notes`
 	options instead.
 endif::git-rev-list[]
 
---show-signature::
+`--show-signature`::
 	Check the validity of a signed commit object by passing the signature
 	to `gpg --verify` and show the output.
-- 
gitgitgadget