Subject: Re: Feature request: fetch --prune by default

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:11:44 +0200

Am 7/19/2012 23:20, schrieb Alexey Muranov:
> On 19 Jul 2012, at 19:34, Konstantin Khomoutov wrote:
> 
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:21:21 +0200 Alexey Muranov
>> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> [...]
>>> I do not still understand very well some aspects of Git, like the 
>>> exact purpose of "remote tracking branches" (are they for pull or
>>> for push?), so i may be wrong.
>> This is wery well explained in the Pro Git book, for instance. And in
>> numerous blog posts etc.
> 
> I have read the Pro Gut book and numerous blog posts, but i keep
> forgetting the explanation because it does not make much sense to me:
> 
> "Tracking branches are local branches that have a direct relationship
> to a remote branch.  If you’re on a tracking branch and type git push,
> Git automatically knows which server and branch to push to.  Also,
> running git pull while on one of these branches fetches all the remote
> references and then automatically merges in the corresponding remote
> branch." etc.

Note the difference between "tracking branch" and "remote tracking
branch"! The "remote tracking branches" are the refs in the refs/remotes/
hierarchy. The "tracking branches" are your own local branches that you
have created with 'git branch topic thatremote/topic' (or perhaps 'git
checkout -b'). The paragraph talks about the latter.

-- Hannes