Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] test-lib: filesystem prerequisites

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 11:31:49 +0200

Junio C Hamano venit, vidit, dixit 26.07.2012 22:10:
> Jeff King <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> That looks like a maintenance annoyance. Can't we just have the
>> prerequisite-checker lazily perform the test on demand and cache the
>> result?  It should be OK as long as:
>>
>>   1. The prereq is careful about its pre- and post- conditions. We
>>      already make sure to clean up after those tests so as not to taint
>>      later tests. We would probably want to also make them more careful
>>      about preconditions like which directory they are in (so, for
>>      example, refer to "$TRASH_DIRECTORY/junk" and not "junk").
>>
>>   2. The prereq test does not accidentally munge any existing test
>>      state from previous tests. That should not be a big deal as long as
>>      we avoid names like "junk" in favor of more unique names like
>>      "check-case-sensitivity-prereq".
> 
> Yeah, it is very desirable if we could lazy-eval, and we _should_ be
> able to arrange the above.
> 

Yes, lazy-eval looks good and is probably easier than caching.

The adjustments to 1/5 and 4/5 look good.

5/5 needs a fix in the subject line, sorry. It should be:

t3910: use the UTF8_NFD_TO_NFC test prereq

(5/5 hasn't hit next)

Thanks,
Michael