Subject: Re: The GitTogether

From: Michael J Gruber <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:17:00 +0200

Jens Lehmann venit, vidit, dixit 29.07.2012 17:55:
> Am 27.07.2012 13:45, schrieb Thomas Rast:
>> Scott Chacon <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> GitHub would like to volunteer to organize and pay for these events
>>> this year.  I would like to hold the developer-centric one in Berlin
>>> in early October

Winter term classes start 10/15. Before 10/15 it will be easier to book
university rooms if we need that.

>>
>> Yay, Berlin!  I would be glad to join there; I would probably not have
>> the time and resources to travel to SF this year.
> 
> Same here.

Same.

Do we have contacts regarding (un)conference rooms in Berlin already? I
might be able to ask around.

> 
>>> For those of you who *have* been to a GitTogether, what did you find
>>> useful and/or useless about it?  What did you get out of it and would
>>> like to see again?  For those of you who have never been, what do you
>>> think would be useful?  I was thinking for both of them to have a
>>> combination of short prepared talks, lightning/unconference style
>>> talks and general discussion / breakout sessions.
>>
>> I was at the 2010 GitTogether in Mountain View.  I really liked the
>> unconference format, and the way Shawn and Junio used it: just using the
>> topic stickers as a sort of todo-list, not actually fixing any schedule
>> in advance.  Oddly enough we also managed to avoid the usual consequence
>> of open-ended discussions: getting stuck endlessly on an absolutely
>> insignificant point.
> 
> Yup, the unconference format with both common and breakout sessions
> worked really well.
> 
>> I think the discussions were very productive.  I would love to do more
>> hacking than we managed in 2010, but I realize that this is not possible
>> if we just meet for 2-3 days.  Perhaps one option would be to plan for
>> 1-2 days of hacking after the discussion rounds, so that the interested
>> people can stay a bit longer?
> 
> I really like that idea and would vote for 3-4 days (maybe including a
> weekend for those of us who have to take a leave from work ;-).
>