Subject: Re: Fix git-svn for SVN 1.7

From: Michael G Schwern <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 18:04:16 -0700

On 2012.7.30 3:15 PM, Eric Wong wrote:
>> Right now, canonicalization is a bug generator.  Paths and URLs have to be in
>> the same form when they're compared.  This requires meticulous care on the
>> part of the coder and reviewer to check every comparison.  It scatters the
>> logic for proper comparison all over the code.  Redundant logic scattered
>> around the code is a Bad Thing.  It makes it more likely a coder will forget
>> the logic, or get it wrong, and a human reviewer must be far more vigilant.
> 
> <snip>  I agree completely with canonicalization.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're agreeing with.

>> The only downside is when chasing down a bug related to canonicalization one
>> might have to realize that eq is overloaded.
> 
> Having to realize eq is overloaded is a huge downside to me.

Presumably you'd be reviewing the change which implements the overloaded
objects, so you'd know about it.  And it would be documented.

I've listed a bunch of concrete positives for using comparison overloaded
URI/path objects vs how it's currently being done.  How about you voice some
of the downsides in concrete terms?  Or an alternative that solves the current
problems?

-- 
Ahh email, my old friend.  Do you know that revenge is a dish that is best
served cold?  And it is very cold on the Internet!