Subject: Re: [PATCH/RFC] git svn: don't introduce new paragraph for git-svn-id

From: Robert Luberda <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 23:46:57 +0200

Eric Wong wrote:

Hi,
>> I don't think it will be hard to make it configurable. I can try to make
>> such a change, do you have any preferences about the option and
>> configuration key names?
> 
> No preference off the top of my head.  As long as it makes sense to
> enough people here and is consistent in style with existing options in
> git.

I have been quite a busy recently, so it took me longer that I thought.

It was quite hard for me to think some sensible option name, and finally
have chosen --trim-svn-log (svn.trimsvnlog as config key name). Please
let me know if such name is ok for you. If not, I'll try to find a
different one (but as I wrote I'm not really good at giving names to
options/functions/variables, etc. :()

I considered making the option a default one for new git svn clones, so
that existing repositories would use the older approach, but I gave up
the idea, and implemented the simpler solution, in which the option must
be given explicitly if one needs the new behavior. If making it a
default for new clones would make sense for you, I can try to implement
this as well.

For consistency, the `--add-author-from' option was modified not to add
an extra new line before 'From: ' line when the newly introduced option
is in effect.

I'm sending a new patch in next e-mail, could you please look at it and
share any comments you might have? One thing I was not sure about is the
requirement, introduced in the change, of having a whitespace character
after a colon in pseudo-header lines
(e.g. `From:somebody <[email-masked]>' won't be considered as a
pseudo-header) - is this consistent with a way git handles
headers/pseudo-headers?

Best regards,
robert