Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-submodule: respect -q for add/update

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 22:33:39 +0200

Am 05.09.2012 13:42, schrieb Orgad and Raizel Shaneh:
> On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 04.09.2012 09:31, schrieb Orgad Shaneh:
>>> Signed-off-by: Orgad Shaneh <[email-masked]>
>>
>> Before the "Signed-off-by" is the place where you should have
>> explained why this would be a worthwhile change ;-)
>>
>> To me this looks like you make the default noisier and require an
>> explicit "-q" to make it quiet again. There is a reason you don't
>> normally get bothered with the output of the checkout command run
>> under the hood of git submodule add/update, so I don't think this
>> change makes things better.
>>
>> But you might want to think about adding a "-v/--verbose" flag to
>> make the submodule add/update checkouts more verbose, in case you
>> care about the output of the checkout command. That would be a
>> sane thing to do, so what about changing your patch into this
>> direction?
>>
> 
> I don't agree the default should be quiet. That's what the (submodule)
> -q flag is there for.

Nope, the -q flag is to silence *all* output except errors. And it
makes perfect sense for high level commands to hide the output of
the commands run under the hood like we do here.

> When I run 'git submodule update' I don't expect to be in the dark
> until the submodule/s finishes checkout, this sometimes can take a
> significant amount of time and feedback is expected.

As I said, add a verbose flag so you can see in detail what is going
on.