Subject: Re: Interactive rebase with pre-built script?

From: Andrew Wong <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:38:40 -0400

On 09/11/2012 02:32 AM, Peter Krefting wrote:
> Now, to my question. Is there an easy way to run interactive rebase on 
> the upstream branch with this recipe? The best we have come up with so 
> far is
>
>   git checkout master # the upstream branch
>   git rebase -i HEAD~
>
> and then just append everything from the generated recipe.
Instead of rebasing to "HEAD~", you should be able to do:
     git rebase -i HEAD
The default recipe should then just be "noop", and you can replace the 
whole default recipe with your recipe. This should also work even if the 
last commit was a merge.

Instead of appending your own recipe, you could also abuse the EDITOR 
environment variable.
Say your recipe is stored in a file called "my_recipe". Then, you could 
do this:
     env EDITOR="cp my_recipe" git rebase -i HEAD

But this could potentially be dangerous because if "rebase" fires up a 
editor for any other reason (e.g. having a "reword" or "squash" in your 
recipe), then the commit message will be messed up. So you need to make 
sure your recipe won't trigger any editor except for the recipe.