Subject: Re: git archive --format zip utf-8 issues

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 00:00:09 +0200

Am 18.09.2012 23:12, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> René Scharfe <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>                                           Windows    Info-ZIP unzip
>>                              7-Zip PeaZip builtin Linux msysgit Windows
>> 7-Zip 9.20                      0      0      46    26      43      43
>> PeaZip 4.7.1 win64              0      0      46    26      42      42
>> Info-ZIP zip 3.0 Linux          0      0      72     0      43      43
>> Info-ZIP zip 3.0 Windows       45     45     n/a     0      43      43

> It is kind of surprising that "Windows builtin" has very poor score
> extracting from the output of Zip tools running on Windows (I am
> looking at 46, 46 and n/a over there).  If you tell it to create an
> archive from its disk and then extract from it, I wonder what would
> happen.

I didn't include it as a packer because it refused to archive the 
pangrams directory due to illegal characters in one of the filenames. 
When I just tried a bit harder, I had to delete all but 14 files with 
Latin script, accents etc. before I could zip the directory.  I'll 
include these results in the next round.

It uses codepage 850 on my system (MSDOS Latin 1).  I don't expect this 
to be portable.

> Does this result mean that practically nobody uses Zip archive with
> exotic letters in paths on that platform?  I am not talking about
> developers and savvy people who know where to download third-party
> Zip archivers and how to install them.  I am imagining a grandma who
> received an archive full of photos of her grandchild in her Outlook
> Express or GMail inbox, clicked the attachment to download it, and
> is trying to view the photo inside.

Not necessarily.  Photos often have names like img_0123.jpg etc., which 
are handled just fine.  And all family members probably use the same 
codepage on their computers, so they're less likely to run into this 
problem.

By the way, I found this bug asking for codepage support in unzip:

   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/unzip/+bug/580961

Multiple codepages seem to be used for ZIP files in the wild, none of 
them are supported by unzip on Linux, which only accepts ASCII or UTF-8.

René