Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/9] ci: make Git's GitHub workflow output much more helpful

From: Phillip Wood <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 12:07:13 +0000

On 22/02/2022 13:31, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
> [...]
> So just to make the point about one of those mentioned in my [1] with
> some further details (I won't go into the whole thing to avoid repeating
> myself):
> 
> I opened both of:
> 
>      https://github.com/git-for-windows/git/runs/4822802185?check_suite_focus=true
>      https://github.com/dscho/git/runs/4840190622?check_suite_focus=true
> 
> Just now in Firefox 91.5.0esr-1. Both having been opened before, so
> they're in cache, and I've got a current 40MB/s real downlink speed etc.
> 
> The former fully loads in around 5100ms, with your series here that's
> just short of 18000ms.
> 
> So your CI changes are making the common case of just looking at a CI
> failure more than **3x as slow as before**.

I don't think that is the most useful comparison between the two. When I 
am investigating a test failure the time that matters to me is the time 
it takes to display the output of the failing test case. With the first 
link above the initial page load is faster but to get to the output of 
the failing test case I have click on "Run ci/print_test_failures.sh" 
then wait for that to load and then search for "not ok" to actually get 
to the information I'm after. With the second link the initial page load 
does feel slower but then I'm presented  with the test failures nicely 
highlighted in red, all I have to do is click on one and I've got the 
information I'm after. Overall that is much faster and easier to use.

Best Wishes

Phillip