Subject: Re: [PATCH] submodule: make 'show' an alias for 'summary'

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:27:32 +0200

Am 29.09.2012 17:07, schrieb Ramkumar Ramachandra:
> Jens Lehmann wrote:
>> Am 29.09.2012 15:43, schrieb Ramkumar Ramachandra:
>>> Signed-off-by: Ramkumar Ramachandra <[email-masked]>
>>> ---
>>>  Like 'git remote show', 'git stash show'.
>>
>> I understand the analogy to "git stash show" (as that also displays
>> a diff similar to what " git submodule summary" does). But "git
>> remote show" just displays a list of configured remotes, which is
>> something different. And the other command with a "show" option is
>> "git notes show", which causes it to display a note. So I think we
>> are pretty inconsistent here and I see no advantage of adding such
>> an alias for "git submodule summary". What am I missing?
> 
> I used submodules for the first time, and expected 'git submodule
> show' to work.  It may not be 100% consistent with the other commands,
> but I think the 'summary' is a good match.  Either way, I don't feel
> strongly about the patch, so feel free to drop it if you think it's
> inappropriate.

I'm very interested in your feedback as a first time submodule user,
what you wrote above makes sense and explains why you did that patch
(and it would have been nice to read some of it in the commit message
;-). What information did you expect to get from a "git submodule
show" which isn't already provided by "git status" and "git diff"
(especially as they give you some information the "git submodule"
commands don't)?