Subject: Re: [PATCH] git-cvsimport: support local timezone

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 09:57:54 +0200

On 10/12/2012 02:14 AM, Christopher Rorvick wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 5:43 PM, Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> On 10/11/2012 10:48 PM, Chris Rorvick wrote:
>>> CVS patches are unconditionally imported with a UTC timezone.  Allow
>>> the local timezone by adding -l to the command line or specifying
>>> cvsimport.l in the config.
>>>
>>> This could be made the default behavior, as setting TZ=UTC in the
>>> environment before doing the import is equivalent to the current
>>> behavior.  But since a new default may be an unwelcome surprise to
>>> some, make this new behavior available os an option.
>>
>> According to rcsfile(7), all times in RCS/CVS files are recorded in UTC.
>>  So why do you need this feature?
> 
> [...]
> Likewise, just because the RCS file has a UTC timestamp does not mean
> the commit originated in Greenwich, UK.  Git includes the timezone
> offset in its timestamps, so it is reasonable to allow me to specify
> what is appropriate.

Ahh, OK, I hadn't realized that git stores (UTC time + time zone).  I
mistakenly thought you wanted to use a time zone to transform CVS-time
to git-time, i.e., as if the CVS time were recorded in local time.  Your
actual goal makes sense.

[And it is something I should consider building into cvs2git.]

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/