Subject: Re: diff support for the Eiffel language?

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2012 15:35:12 +0200

Am 10/22/2012 15:06, schrieb Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Ulrich Windl 
> <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> However there's one little thing I noticed with "git diff": The
>> conte4xt lines (staring with "@@") show the current function (in Perl
>> and C), but they show the current "feature clause" in Eiffel (as
>> opposed to the expected current feature). I wonder how hard it is to
>> fix it (Observed in git 1.7.7 of openSUSE 12.1).
> 
> See git.git's e90d065 for an example of adding a new diff pattern.

It's not necessary to wait until there is built-in support for a new language.

For example, for Windows resource files, I have

*.rc    diff=winres

in .gitattributes or .git/info/attributes and

[diff "winres"]
        xfuncname =
"!^(BEGIN|END|FONT|CAPTION|STYLE)\n^[a-zA-Z_][a-zA-Z_0-9]*.*\n^[[:space:]]*([[:alnum:]_]+,
*DIALOG.*)"

in .git/config (the xfuncname is all on a single line). The first part
beginning at ! up to \n tells to ignore the specified matches. The other
parts separated by \n tell the things to put in the hunk header. You can
have "ignore" parts (with exlamation mark) and "take this" parts (without)
in any order that is convenient, as long as the last one is "take this".

-- Hannes