Subject: Re: [RFC] Add a new email notification script to "contrib"

From: Marc Branchaud <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 11:03:51 -0500

On 12-11-08 04:42 AM, Michael Haggerty wrote:
> On 11/07/2012 10:47 PM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM, Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>> On 07/14/2012 08:59 AM, [email-masked] wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Add a new Python script, contrib/hooks/post-receive-multimail.py, that
>>>> can be used to send notification emails describing pushes into a git
>>>> repository.  [...]
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks to everybody for your feedback.  I will try to incorporate it in a
>>> new version of the script, which I will put forward as a replacement for
>>> contrib/hooks/post-receive-email rather than as an alternative.  But I have
>>> very little open-sourcing time these days, and will be on vacation next
>>> week, so please be patient (or feel free to lend a hand if you are so
>>> inclined).
>>
>> I'm curious as to whether you got around to this? I'd be interested in
>> updates on this script.

I installed the script in our main repository here.  Some folks complained
about the "flood" of emails for large pushes, but having separate mailing
lists solved that.

Others really appreciate the individual messages with full patches.  It's a
challenge to create one script that can satisfy all users, but IMHO this
comes pretty close.

> Thanks for asking.  I have made many of the changes that were requested
> and/or I had planned:
> 
> * Tentatively renamed the system to git-multimail
> 
> * Store the configuration in namespace "multimailhook.*" instead of
> "hooks.*".
> 
> * Reinstated (optional) support for including shortlogs since the last
> tag in announce emails.
> 
> * Script to migrate post-receive-email configuration to the equivalent
> git-multimail config.
> 
> * Better documentation (including of the migration process).
> 
> * Made it easier to use Python code to customize the script's behavior
> (by allowing it to be imported as a Python module), plus a demo script
> showing this usage.

I look forward to trying out your updates.  One thing I had to do to the
original script was override get_envelopesender() in GenericEnvironment to
use $USER if hooks.envelopesender is not set.  (This is what the old
post-receive-email script does.)

This script is one of a couple of things on my git back-burner.  Hopefully
things will settle down here soon and I'll be able to get back to some git
hacking in the next few weeks.

		M.