Subject: Re: What's cooking in git.git (Nov 2012, #03; Tue, 13)

From: Mark Levedahl <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2012 20:50:43 -0500

On 11/14/2012 07:16 PM, Jeff King wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 10:13:28PM +0100, Torsten Bögershausen wrote:
> b) Autodetection:
>    (Just loud thinking), running
> $grep mingw /usr/include/w32api/winsock2.h
>   * This file is part of the mingw-w64 runtime package.
> #include <_mingw_unicode.h>
>
> on cygwin 1.7.17 indicates that we can use grep in the Makefile to
> autodetect the "mingw headers"
> Hmm. Can we rely on the /usr/include bit, though?
>
> I assume a test-compile would be sufficient, but currently we do not do
> anything more magic than "uname" in the Makefile itself to determine
> defaults.  Maybe it would be better to do the detection in the configure
> script? And then eventually flip the default in the Makefile once
> sufficient time has passed for most people to want the new format (which
> would not be necessary for people using autoconf, but would help people
> who do not).
>
> -Peff
>

Cygwin changed the win32api implementation, and the old is not just no 
longer supported for the current release series, but virtually 
impossible to even install (several new packages are now installed, the 
old package is in the "obsolete" category, i.e., not available). The 
older cygwin 1.5 dll + utilities can be installed afresh, so that is why 
I set up to switch based upon dll version - the proposed test(s) and 
configuration would be to have git maintain compatibility with an 
unsupported Cygwin configuration. I just don't think this is worth the 
maintenance burden, but of course I am not the maintainer, just 
expressing my opinion.

I have no trouble renaming the macro to whatever seems to clarify things.

Mark