Subject: Re: Millisecond precision in timestamps?

From: Andreas Ericsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 11:14:08 +0100

On 11/28/2012 09:04 AM, David Aguilar wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Eric S. Raymond <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Junio C Hamano <[email-masked]>:
>>> Roundtrip conversions may benefit from sub-second timestamps, but
>>> personally I think negative timestamps are more interesting and of
>>> practical use.
>>
>> You mean, as in times before the Unix epoch 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z?
>>
>> Interesting.  I hadn't thought of that.  I've never seen a software
>> project under version control with bits that old, which is significant
>> because I've probably done more digging into ancient software than
>> anybody other than a specialist historian or two.
> 
> One example I've heard is someone wanting to throw the history
> of a country's laws into git so they can diff them.
> 

That'll get tricky if you try it in Sweden. Our oldest written law
dates back to 1281. Quite fun reading. Apparently it was against the
law to shoot your slaves with stone arrows back then.

See my other proposal for how this could be done, which would only
affect the output layer (and some care would have to be taken with
the input, naturally).

-- 
Andreas Ericsson                   [email-masked]
OP5 AB                             www.op5.se
Tel: +46 8-230225                  Fax: +46 8-230231

Considering the successes of the wars on alcohol, poverty, drugs and
terror, I think we should give some serious thought to declaring war
on peace.