Subject: Re: [RFC] remove/deprecate 'submodule init' and 'sync'

From: Jens Lehmann <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 21:29:29 +0100

Am 02.12.2012 20:09, schrieb W. Trevor King:
> Before I get into the details, I'd like to point out that I actually
> understand the purpose of `submodule init` now ;).  To avoid further
> confusion, my current one-line command summaries would be:
> 
>   init:   mark a submodule as active for future submodule operation
>   deinit: mark a submodule as inactive for future submodule operation
>   sync:   update remote.<name>.origin in submodules to reflect changes
>           in .gitmodules or the superproject's remote URL.
> 
> I don't think we disagree on that, we just don't agree on how to
> implement it.

Nope, it is already implemented and you are arguing to change the
current implementation. To quote from another mail:

Am 01.12.2012 18:49, schrieb W. Trevor King:
> On Sat, Dec 01, 2012 at 06:25:17PM +0100, Jens Lehmann wrote:
>> What real world problems do we have with the current init/sync that
>> this approach would solve?
>
> I don't have any, ...

We don't want to change working code and cause compatibility issues
just because we /could/ do things differently, no?