Subject: Re: Incorrect man page for git-diff

From: Manlio Perillo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 20:10:05 +0100

Il 18/12/2012 19:11, Junio C Hamano ha scritto:
> Manlio Perillo <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>> Documentation seems to suggest this is supported, but it is not true:
>>
>>   $ git diff HEAD:git.c HEAD~100:git.c -- git.c
>>   usage: git diff [<options>] [<commit> [<commit>]] [--] [<path>...]
>>
>> unless I'm missing something.
> 
> Neither HEAD:git.c nor HEAD~100:git.c are commits.

Well, the documentation calls these parameter "commit", later saying
"For a more complete list of ways to spell <commit>, see "SPECIFYING
REVISIONS".

>  You are
> comparing two blob objects in their raw forms without textconv nor
> filter.
> 

Note that I was not missing the fact that git diff does not apply
texconv and filters.

I'm not sure the man page is wrong and should be changed:

  -- usage: git diff [<options>] [<commit> [<commit>]] [--] [<path>...]
  ++ usage: git diff [<options>] [<commit> [<commit>]]

Regards  Manlio