Subject: Re: Change in cvsps maintainership, abd a --fast-export option

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 09:11:08 +0100

On 12/20/2012 10:56 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Earlier today David Mansfield handed off to me the cvsps project. This
> is the code used as an engine for reading CVS repositories by
> git-cvsimport.
> [...] I have added a --fast-export option to
> cvsps-3.0 that emits a git fast-import stream representing the CVS
> history.
> [...]
> Possibly it fixes some other problems described there as well.  
> I don't understand all the bug warnings on that page and would like to
> discuss them with the author, whoever that is.  Possibly cvsps can be
> further enhanced to address these problems; I'm willing to work on that.

In 2009 I added tests demonstrating some of the erroneous behavior of
git-cvsimport.  The failing tests in t9601-t9603 are concrete examples
of the problems mentioned in the manpage.

If you haven't yet seen it, there is a writeup of the algorithm used by
cvs2git to infer the history of a CVS repository [1].  If your goal is
to make cvsps more robust, you might want to consider the ideas
described there.

Michael

[1] File doc/design-notes.txt in the cvs2svn source tree, also visible here:

http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/source/browse/*checkout*/cvs2svn/trunk/doc/design-notes.txt

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/