Subject: Re: Change in cvsps maintainership, abd a --fast-export option

From: Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 23:16:29 +0100

On 12/21/2012 10:43 PM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Michael Haggerty <[email-masked]>:
>> Perhaps your experience is with an older version of cvs2svn? 
> 
> Well, it has been at least four years since I ran it on anything.
> Maybe that counts as old. 

cvs2svn version 2.0 (Aug 2007) totally changed how cvs2svn deduces
changesets.  Any results from before that are utterly irrelevant to
modern times.

The changes between version 2.0 and version 2.4 (Sep 2012) have done a
lot more to improve the quality of the conversion.  The state of the art
is far beyond what it was four years ago.

>>                                                             If not,
>> please be specific rather than just making complaints that are too vague
>> to be rebutted or fixed (whichever is appropriate).  I put a *lot* of
>> effort into getting cvs2svn to run correctly, and I take bug reports
>> very seriously.
> 
> I can't be specific now, but that may change shortly.  I'm putting
> together a test suite for cvsps with the specific intention of
> capturing as many odd corner cases as I can.  (I just finished writing
> a small Python framework for expressing interleaved CVS command
> sequences on multiple checkouts in a way that can be easily run.)
> 
> It wouldn't be difficult for me to test whether these break cvs2svn. 
> You've established that someone over there is paying attention, so
> I'll do that, I guess.

I look forward to your results (whether positive or negative).

> I'm willing to share my test suite as well.  Do you have your own zoo
> of odd cases I could test on?

Yes, we have a rather extensive test suite that includes lots of CVS
perversions.  See run-tests.py and the CVS repositories under test-data.
 Unfortunately, the tests mostly cover only 2svn conversions, but since
most of the tricky work is in the common code that infers the CVS
history, cvs2git benefits from the tests too.

This discussion is getting pretty cvs2svn-specific, so we should
probably move it over to the cvs2svn-dev mailing list.

Michael

-- 
Michael Haggerty
[email-masked]
http://softwareswirl.blogspot.com/