Subject: Re: [RFC] git rm -u

From: Eric James Michael Ritz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 14:21:53 -0500

On 01/20/2013 01:53 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:
 > Matthieu Moy <[email-masked]> writes:
 >
 >> Implementing "git rm -u" as a tree-wide command would create a
 >> discrepancy with "git add -u". Implementing it as a "current
 >> directory" command would make the migration harder if we eventually
 >> try to change "git add -u". Perhaps "git rm -u" should be forbidden
 >> from a subdirectory (with an error message pointing to "git rm -u
 >> :/" and "git rm -u ."), waiting for a possible "git add -u" change.
 >
 > Yeah, that sounds sensible.  Start with a "'git rm -u' is forbidden
 > without arguments", give advise to use either "." or ":/".  And stop
 > there.

I was unaware of any plan to change `git add -u`, but the above makes
sense to me.  I will use those suggestions as guidelines for the
initial implementation of `git rm -u`.  In particular, it will require
an argument like `.` or `:/`.  It sounds like the future direction of
`git add -u` will play a role in how `git rm -u` should behave so that
there is consistency between the two, so I will try to take a
conservative approach in my implementation.  Thank you both for the
advice and insight.

--
ejmr
南無妙法蓮華經