Subject: Re: "git archve --format=tar" output changed from 1.8.1 to 1.8.2.1

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 12:52:15 -0500

On 31/01/13 12:41 PM, Greg KH wrote:
> Ugh, uploading a 431Mb file, over a flaky wireless connection (I end up
> doing lots of kernel releases while traveling), would be a horrible
> change.  I'd rather just keep using the same older version of git that
> kernel.org is running instead.

Well, we do accept compressed archives, so you would be uploading about
80MB instead of 431MB, but that would still be a problem for anyone
releasing large tarballs over unreliable connections. I know you
routinely do 2-3 releases at once, so that would still mean uploading
120-180MB.

I don't have immediate statistics on how many people release using "kup
--tar", but I know that at least you and Linus rely on that exclusively.

Regards,
-- 
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator
Linux Foundation, kernel.org
Montréal, Québec