Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/8] Introduce git-blame-tree(1) command

From: Derrick Stolee <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 08:04:50 -0400

On 3/26/2025 4:38 PM, Taylor Blau wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2025 at 09:18:24PM +0100, Toon Claes wrote:
>> This is yet another attempt to upstream the builtin command
>> `git-blame-tree(1)`. This command is similar to git-blame(1) and shows
>> the most recent modification to paths in a tree..
>>
>> The last attempt (I'm aware of) was made by Ævar in 2023[1]. That
>> series was based of patches by Peff written in 2011[2].
> 
> For what it's worth, the blame-tree implementation that this came from
> has evolved significantly since it was originally written in 2011. Most
> recently Stolee and I worked on a version that uses changed-path Bloom
> filters to narrow the search, passing un-blamed paths to their parents
> at each level of the traversal.

It's worth mentioning that the underlying algorithm was nearly rebuilt
from scratch with this "passing un-blamed paths to their parents" aspect,
which unlocked other features such as caching results to be used by
future queries, even when the tip branch advances.

With that in mind, using the 2011 version is unlikely to be valuable.

Taylor: do you have a drop of the latest blame-tree implementation that
could be shared with Toon?

Thanks,
-Stolee