Subject: Re: SSH version on Git 1.8.1.2 for Windows is outdated.

From: Patrik Gornicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:49:27 -0400

On 03/16/13 09:14, Sebastian Schuberth wrote:
> On 15.03.2013 21:11, Joshua Jensen wrote:
>
>>> Yes, you should grab the msysGit (the Git for Windows build
>>> environment) [2], tweak it to include the new OpenSSH binary, ensure it
>>> builds and works OK and then send a pull request (or post your patchset
>>> to the msysgit mailing list [3].
>>>
>> Wow, we can do that now?
>>
>> When I brought up the vastly improved performance from a newer SSH
>> executable, I was told the only way to get it in would be to build from
>> source [1].
>
> "tweak it to include the new OpenSSH binary" is supposed to include the
> step to adjust the release.sh script to grab the updated sources and
> build the binary.

I attempted to do just this about a month ago though things really 
started to snowball. To get openssh to compile you need to update a 
bunch of other programs in the msys branch and I just lost interest in 
doing so. More info can be found in the msysgit issue "Upgrade SSH" [1].

> However, another option is to take a look at the new mingwGitDevEnv
> project [1], which relies on mingw-get to retrieve binary packages. I
> hopefully find soon the time to include OpenSSH 6.1p1 incl. HPN-SSH
> patches [2].

Any idea as to when this mingwGitDevEnv project will be mature enough to 
use as a replacement for msysgit? One of the reasons I gave up trying to 
tweak things to get openssh compiling was that this seemed like a much 
better idea. Though if it's fair off I might find time to give it 
another shot.

> [1] https://github.com/sschuberth/mingwGitDevEnv
> [2] https://github.com/sschuberth/mingwGitDevEnv/pull/5

If someone is keen to try and update openssh in msysgit I'd be willing 
to share my hacks from a month ago which could be used as a starting 
point. It was left nowhere near ready for a pull request, partially due 
to binary issues mentioned above, but at least it'll provide reasonable 
ideas to a few of the things that need to happen.

[1] https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/issues/31

Patrik