Subject: Re: FW: Windows. Git, and Dedupe

From: René Scharfe <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 20:54:52 +0100

Am 19.03.2013 22:36, schrieb Josh Rowe:
> Yes, Dedup is in fact a Server-only feature.

Is there an easier way to reproduce the issue than registering and 
downloading the Windows Server 2012 evaluation version?  It's not that 
hard, admittedly, but still.

> The reparse point could be decoded as being a non-symlink reparse
> itemusing; in those cases, treating the file as an "ordinary"
> file would be appropriate.
>
> For example, see the following. The reparse tag value for symlinks
> isIO_REPARSE_TAG_SYMLINK (0xa000000c) and for deduped files is
 > (IO_REPARSE_TAG_DEDUP) 0x80000013.

That's interesting and invalidates my initial checks with mklink, 
because if I read compat/mingw.c [1] correctly then git handles symlinks 
on Windows in a special way, but should treat dedup reparse points as 
normal files already.

Hrm, but probably st_size is set to zero for them.  Do the deduped files 
appear as empty?  "git ls-tree -r HEAD" would show them with a hash of 
e69de29bb2d1d6434b8b29ae775ad8c2e48c5391.  If true then how do we get 
their real content sizes using Win32 API calls?

By the way, what does the command "git version" return for you?

Thanks,
René

[1] https://git.kernel.org/cgit/git/git.git/tree/compat/mingw.c#n427

-- 
-- 
*** Please reply-to-all at all times ***
*** (do not pretend to know who is subscribed and who is not) ***
*** Please avoid top-posting. ***
The msysGit Wiki is here: https://github.com/msysgit/msysgit/wiki - Github accounts are free.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "msysGit" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email-masked]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email-masked]
For more options, and view previous threads, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/msysgit?hl=en_US?hl=en

--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "msysGit" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email-masked].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.