Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] cat-file: Fix an gcc -Wuninitialized warning

From: Ramsay Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 18:48:43 +0000

Jeff King wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 07:20:11PM +0000, Ramsay Jones wrote:
> 
>> After commit cbfd5e1c ("drop some obsolete "x = x" compiler warning
>> hacks", 21-03-2013) removed a gcc specific hack, older versions of
>> gcc now issue an "'contents' might be used uninitialized" warning.
>> In order to suppress the warning, we simply initialize the variable
>> to NULL in it's declaration.
> 
> I'm OK with this, if it's the direction we want to go. But I thought the
> discussion kind of ended as "we do not care about these warnings on
> ancient versions of gcc; those people should use -Wno-error=uninitialized".

Hmm, I don't recall any agreement or conclusions being reached.
I guess I missed that!

> What version of gcc are you using? If it is the most recent thing
> reasonably available on msysgit, then I am more sympathetic. But if it's
> just an antique version of gcc, I am less so.

(see previous email for compiler versions).

I suppose it depends on what you consider antique. [I recently
downloaded the "first C compiler" from github. Yes, that is an
antique compiler! ;-)] I would call some of the compilers I use
"a bit mature." :-P

Hmm, so are you saying that this patch is not acceptable because
I used a compiler that is no longer supported?

ATB,
Ramsay Jones