Subject: Re: [PATCH] rerere forget: grok files containing NUL

From: Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2013 21:34:30 +0200

Am 02.04.2013 21:18, schrieb Junio C Hamano:
> Johannes Sixt <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
>>> Does the three-way merge machinery replay recorded resolution for
>>> such a binary file correctly (after your fix, that is)?
>>
>> Yes, it does. It recognizes the binary-ness and picks 'our' side. Only
>> then comes rerere_mem_getline into play.
> 
> Surely getline() needs to be fixed not to loop forever regardless of
> the binary-ness, but I was more worried about our additions of lines
> that satisfy is_cmarker(), counting of them in the callchain from
> handle_file() to handle_path() to decide if a path has already been
> resolved by the user, and recording of an resolution based on the
> return value of that callchain, all of which relies on the merged
> contents being textual and marked with the conflict marker.

Of course, it would make sense to exclude binary files from rerere's
operation. But that's an independent issue, and it is not new.

-- Hannes